Tablet Client Management and App Purchasing Options
The University Purchased Tablet Policy requires all tablets purchased for university use to be purchased with licensing for client management software so that these tablets can be managed. It also requires all apps purchased for these tablets to be purchased by UIS via UIS' centralized app purchasing methods. An exception is made when UIS does not yet have client management or centralized app purchasing for that type of app. The following is information about what client management and client management UIS currently maintains for different tablet types.
All iPads must be purchased through UIS. Other tablets may be purchased by UIS or the department requesting them as decided during the UIS Pre-Purchase Consultation. See the University Purchased Tablet Policy for more.
iOS Devices: UIS uses JAMF for iOS devices (iPads, iPhones and iPod Touches) and thus a JAMF license purchase is required with each new iOS device purchase, at a cost of $45 for the lifetime of the device.
- Android Devices: UIS does not currently have a client management system for Android devices, thus does not currently require client management license purchases for those devices.
- Watch OS: UIS does not currently have a client management system for Watch OS devices, thus does not currently require client management license purchases for those devices.
- Apple iOS App Store: UIS currently utilizes centralized purchasing for Apple iOS App Store apps. Any app purchases made with university funds must be purchased by UIS. To request an app purchase, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the name of the App, the number of licenses requested, the asset tag numbers of the tablets the app will be used on, and an account code to charge to.
- Amazon (Kindle) App Store: UIS does not currently have a procedure for centralized purchasing of Amazon app store apps, so does not require that app purchases be made through UIS.
- Google Play (Android) App Store: UIS does not currently have a procedure for centralized purchasing of Android app store apps, so does not require that app purchases be made through UIS.
Note that a UIS pre-purchase consultation is still required, even where UIS doesn't require app purchases be made through UIS.