Editing Box Documents on an iOS device
This article provides instructions for setting up Box on iOS devices (iPhone's and iPads). Furthermore, you will learn to download and edit documents that have been uploaded to Box. Edits will be made using the Apple productivity suite.
Preparing your iPad
In order to properly configure your device for Box, we must first disable iCloud drive. Disabling iCloud drive will allow us to download and store the document on the iOS device's internal storage.
- Open Settings
- Tap on your Apple ID
- Select iCloud
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and disable iCloud Drive (should switch from green to grey)
Setting up Box
- Open the App Store
- Search and download "Box"
- Open the Box app and select "Log In"
- Enter your Pacific email address (your PUNet ID @pacificu.edu)
- Page will re-direct to the Pacific Account login screen (sign in using your credentials)
- Box is now setup and you should be able to view your folders and files
While in the Box app you can view any document you have without having to download it, however, you will not be able to edit it using Box alone.
Setting up Apple Suite (Pages, Numbers, Keynote)
- Open the App Store
- Search and download "Pages" (for Word files), "Numbers" (for Excel files), and "Key-note" (for PowerPoint files)
- Open the App for the first time to finish the app setup
Opening Box files for editing
- Open the Box app and navigate to the folder/file you would like to open and edit
- Tap the file to open in view only mode
- From the menu bar running along the bottom of the screen, select the diagonal arrow.
- The option will prompt to open in Microsoft Excel, ignore this message, select "Open in…"
- Select "Copy to- Pages, Numbers, Keynote" it will vary depending on file type
- The import process will inform you of any changes that may have occurred converting the document from the Microsoft Office format to the Apple version
- You will notice a copy of the document has been made, that will allow you to make any necessary changes
Saving the changes back to Box
- Select the "more menu" from the top right (three dots)
- Select "Export"
- Select the original format of the document (Word, Excel, Power Point)
- Select "Copy to Box"
- Select "all files" under Destination Folder
- You should see the Box folder structure, which will allow you to navigate to the original folder that contained the original file
- Select "Upload" from the top right once you have found the folder
- Make sure to select "replace" instead of "create new" that way Box generates a new edited version of your document