Technology Purchasing: Pre-Purchase UIS Consultation
Consulting with a UIS staff member prior to making a purchase can help to ensure that you are purchasing the best technology available at the best price, that your intended use does not violate licensing agreements, that your technology is secure and that you select technology that UIS is best able to support.
UIS should be consulted before any university funds (including grant funds) are used to purchase any of the following:
- Any subscription to any online service or renewal (monthly, annual, etc.) of same.
- Any computer software (does not include apps purchased from a mobile device app store).
- Any computer or tablet.
- Any device with the intent to connect to the wired or wireless networks.
- Includes switches, hubs and networkable printers.
- Any device or system with a total cost (including installation, software, training, shipping) of $5,000 or more.
- Any technology which will require UIS aid to deploy.
All other devices do not require UIS consultation, although UIS staff members are happy to provide a consultation about any planned purchase. Please be aware that technology purchased without UIS consultation may not qualify for UIS support (see Service Level Agreement for Computer Support: Support Levels ).
When the budget authority submits receipts to the Business Office for any technology purchase, he or she should include a note saying either:
"I have received authorization from UIS staff for this purchase."
"This purchase does not require UIS authorization as per the current UIS purchasing policies."
UIS also gives select bulk-purchasers a standing authorization to order specific types of technology without obtaining authorizations.
To begin a pre-purchase consultation, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with information about what you want to purchase and how to you want to use it. As a pre-purchase consultation may include multiple levels of review, please make your request at least two weeks before you are hoping to purchase, or at least one month if the technology deals at all with student, patient or experimental subject records or communications.
Websites and Domain Names
Websites and internet domains may not be purchased with university funds unless preauthorized by University Information Services, Legal Affairs, and Marketing and Communications. Please submit a UIS project request to start the review process. All web domains must be purchased and managed by University Information Services at the expense of the requesting department in order to assure that the domain can be managed by the university in the future.
In addition to the UIS pre-purchase consultation, purchasers are also responsible for obtaining any necessary approvals from the Office of Legal Affairs for agreements that accompany the purchase or usage of technology. UIS will not provide approval for a purchase that has not yet received required approval from the Office of Legal Affairs.
End of Financial Year Deadline
In order to meet fiancial year closing deadlines issued by the Business Office, University Information Services establishes a date for each financial year that all departmental IT procurement requests be submitted to UIS. This deadline only applies to purchases that will be made by UIS, not to purchases made by non-UIS departments with UIS permission.
In previous years, this deadline has been established as mid-May.
Please submit procurement request to email@example.com including the account to be charged with appropriate budget authority approval. Please allow additional time for items that may require security, privacy or compatibility review.
- Signature Authority Memo. This document outlines required approvals for agreements from the Office of Legal Affairs and the Vice President for Finance & Administration.
- Signature Authority Flow Chart
- Service Level Agreement for Computer Support: Support Levels
- Technology Purchasing: Home Use
- Technology Purchasing: Who Pays For What
- Technology Purchasing: Technology Ownership
- Technology Purchasing: Lifecycle Replacements
- Technology Purchasing: Asset Tagging
- Technology Purchasing: Computer Growth & New Employees